Skip to main content

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

      
Book 1 In Dark Artifices Series
By: Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy
Pages: 698
Published: March 8, 2016
      

"In a kingdom by the sea.." Parabatai is a sacred word. Your parabatai is your best friend, your partner in battle, your everything- but you must never fall in love. 

  Emma Carstairs is a shadowhunter, one who fights demons to protect the human world.  Her best friend Julian Blackthorn is her parabatai. When bodies start turning up in the exact way her parents were murdered when she was a child, Emma starts to investigate. But with each new clue she receives, she unravels more secrets. What has  Julian been hiding from her all these years? Why does Shadowhunter Law forbid parabatai to fall in love? Who really killed her parents? Can Emma bear the truth?





My Review
SPOILERS UP AHEAD!!!

  I would recommend reading the Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices (I know, a lot of books) before you start Lady Midnight and the Dark Artifices trilogy. Do mind though, whoever's reading this that this is my first long review of a book and my writing isn't the best.   There will be spoilers I know and I won't always mention them. SO BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!! I've had my fair share. Ask my friends. 
I finished this book recently, and let me tell you, it was AMAZING!! Cassandra Clare has outdone herself yet again for what is it? The 10th time? So, let's get to the book.

   So since you're reading this I'm assuming you've read the book to its end. Speaking of the end, let's talk about that ending! Cassandra Clare HOW COULD YOU!!! The whole scene where Emma breaks it off with Julian was heart crushing, not just for Julian, but for ME TOO!! It was so sad to hear him argue with Emma telling her to wait and saying that he didn't believe her when she told him she didn't love him. You what that scene totally reminded me of? Clockwork Angel. The whole part in the end where Will insults Tessa to a point where it breaks her. Emma lying to Julian about her feelings saying they could never be together reminded me of Will and Tessa. It was heartbreaking that whole scene. But I have faith though. This is only book 1, they will end up together-somehow. But even I have a hard time believing THAT because they're FREAKING PARABATAI!!! Parabatai can NEVER fall in love. They can, but the Clave always kicks them out of the shadowhunter world. :(

   Let's talk about that ending with Mark. WHAT DOES HE MEAN? When Emma says they have to lie about being the relationship with each other and Mark says those words, "Why lie?" What does that even mean? I know Mark is a half-blooded faerie and they can lie, but does Mark like Emma? I would've thought that was true if not for the scene where he walks in on Cristina and "Perfect Diego" kissing. #confusing

   The epilogue she wrote was, in fact, the shortest one (i think) she wrote. Cassandra Clare leaves us with a mere knowledge that Annabel Lee is alive. WHOA

   So how about that betrayal? I never suspected Malcolm. Throughout this whole book, I was trying to figure out who was going to be the bad guy. In the Mortal Instruments it was Valentine and Sebastian, The Infernal Devices it was Mortmain, but here I got nothing. When I found out Malcolm was the bad guy, I was just, shook. I never suspected him. But that's the way it is, isn't it? It usually or most of the time the person you never suspect.

   All along, Malcolm was going around killing people and slicing off their freaking hands of murders to use of the ceremony. Just to bring back Annabel. That guy has issues, like seriously. Did anyone of you see him coming as the bad guy? Not me, I had to reread that whole part where Dru says, "Malcolm has him."

  The whole "killing part" where Emma supposedly kills Malcolm, I am still suspicious. I still feel Malcolm's going to "come back" somehow and he and Annabel are going to be some powerful kick-butt couple set to "take over the world" or something like that. It'll be them against Julian and Emma. Hopefully, by then Julian and Emma will be a kick butt couple as well. They'd be a better kick-ass couple. I mean, even though their powers can make them go crazy, it's still cool, up until your insane.  You know, the usual. 

   From the beginning, I could tell the Julian had feelings for Emma. The minute I got a view of his perspective. I knew it. How about you? When did you realize that Julian liked Emma? I did find it frustrating that they were always pushing each other off. I get that though, you can't be with the one person you love because the law says, "No."

   You know what I love? When the author somehow adds the book title in the book itself. In this book, you get the whole background on "Lady Midnight" herself. The whole poem by Edgar Allen Poe about Annabel Lee. How Lady Midnight was a girl who FELL IN LOVE WITH THE WRONG PERSON. Ironic huh? It was sad he got told Annabel left him to be an Iron Sister.

   So in this book, we get introduced to a new character. There are a lot more, but I was planning to talk about this one mundane..... or is he? Can you guess? It's Kit! Or should I say Christopher Jonathan Herondale?!?! That means he's related to Will!! Not only is he related to Will, he's also a shadowhunter! Hopefully, we're going to find out more about Kit's whole history. I have a theory: was Kit kidnapped? His father's name (Johnny Rook) doesn't have "Herondale" in it, so I'm assuming....? Just a theory. 

What did you think of Jem or James Carstairs?  I didn't even realize he had the same last name as Emma.  Also how Emma has musical talent in her. Hopefully, we'll see more of Jem, especially Tessa!! When Emma asked him about why parabatai's can't fall in love, I was like, don't do it, Emma, don't you dare. Then she asked Tessa... SHE PULLED A FREAKING WILL HERONDALE!!!!!!! WHY WHY WHY!!! 

   So that's my review. What are your theories on what's to come for Emma and Julian? How did you feel about the whole setting, characters, and style of the book? I personally loved it, but I just love anything by Cassandra Clare. She's one of my favorites.

  So that's enough, of me, leave your thoughts, ideas, comments, or whatever in the comment blog! Make sure to share my blog with fellow readers. Stay tuned to come: The Dark Artifices Book 2: The Lord of Shadows review! 

Until next time,

Jazzy


(some text was taken from the book all rights reserved to Cassandra Clare)




    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Renegades by Marissa Meyer

Renegades Book #1 By: Marissa Meyer Genre: YA Science Fiction Pages: 552 Published: November 7, 2017,  by  Feiwel & Friends    She wants VENGEANCE    He wants JUSTICE The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies-humans with extraordinary abilities- who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice- and in Nova. But Nova's allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.  My Review (spoilers, as always) Personally, I enjoyed this book. When I say "enjoyed" I mean like. I didn't necessarily love the book, but I didn't hate it. There were a lot of super hero's names to get used to. I had to constantly keep going back to the beginning of the book to check who was who. It was annoying at time but the guid